From:
Lee Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:51:16 -0600
Hi List:  I posted this to Susan Butler Tobie but decided I wanted to share
it with the rest of the list.  Is anyone else acquainted with the research
referenced?  Does it seem reliable, or is it just too recent to consider
comfortable?

Lee Davis, SCSU

*****************************
Hi Susan!  Welcome to the list.  It is the most robust and stimulating list
I know of.

I'm not sure parental demands are the best way to guarantee the survival of
US interest in classical music, but perhaps there is a rationnale
justifying such demands.  The recent spate of research studies relating
brain development (especially that pertaining to verbal abilities) to early
childhood music instrumental training provides a reason why such demands
might be justified.  Before this research, justifying such demands even to
themselves was not easy for parents.  In fact it seemed authoritarian,
arbitrary, and gratuitous.  How could we impose what is, after all, a
matter of taste and personal preference upon those who have little power to
defend themselves?  School work, yes.  Enrichment, yes.  But who are we to
insist that our esthetic preferences be adopted by our children?

It now seems that brain development is promoted by musical instrument
training (keyboard and violin family have been studied), and some research
claims that listening to a particular genre (specifically Mozart) increases
intellectual performance.  This last claim raises many questions in my
mind, but the research on brain structure using MRI scans seems very solid.
(Re:  Jas. Shreeve, Oct. 1966, Discover Magazine).

Also, I think that parental support in very early childhood through K-12
schooling can help establish music study in the child.  Let me confess that
my son (now 18) could never remember not taking piano lessons (I think he
started when he was 2).  This fall in college is the first time in his life
he has not taken piano lessons.  He never asked not to take lessons.  My
impression is he never wanted not to take them.

Enjoy this list.

Lee Davis, SCSU