From:
Peter Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:29:32 -0400
Hi folks!  Jim Bunch writes:

>This issue is still with me like a rock in my shoe.  I
>think I have still not found a definitive answer to the
>question of whether one can "hear" inharmonicity as a
>change in timbre on a normally scaled hpschd.

>Bottom line is, I am finding it difficult to compare
>apples with oranges.

The truth is you can't compare with oranges unless you
taste them!

As to inharmonicity, whether it's there or not, or in
what degree, is immaterial: it's the effect on the human
ear that matters.

If the resulting sound is pleasant and enhances the
music, then that's all that matters! Inharmonicity is an
interesting academic point, but in the last resort, the
only thing that matters is whether the instrument sounds
beautiful or not. If it doesn't, then that's the time to
start asking questions as to why, and what could be done
to improve the tone. One thing I strongly suspect is that
a _lot_ of inharmonicity has to be present before the
sound becomes umpleasant!

Best!

Redstone

Peter Redstone,