From:
William Jurgenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 22:21:34 +0000
>Dear List:
>
>Anybody know of any CDs available of tangent pianos?  Anybody know
>where on the East Coast one might be able to hear/play one of 'em?
>
>Regards,
>
>Paul Masser

This much I can tell you: one single original tangi is playable, that of
Alan Rubin, Spaeth&Schmahl, 1791. The others make noises, more or less. The
one in Vienna quite nice really. John Koster is supposed to be restoring
Sheridan Germann's, but I 'don't know how far he is. The last time we
talked, he was just getting the feel of it.
My copy in Stuttgart is the only other tangi following historic principles
playing.  The two of Potvlieghe are "iron-plated" pseudo-Pleyels; Johan
Huys does a commendable job playing one of them on the CD he made and Jos
heroically demsonstrated them in Bruges 1980 or 83. Schuetze made several,
or rather the same one several times, but I don't think there is a
recording of this unreservedly modern instrument. I also don't know if the
last version is even still intact. I'm afraid you'll not find one playing
in the States anywhere unless John has gotten that far.

regards, Bill

William Jurgenson
Keyboard Instrument Maker