From:
David Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 22:29:56 +0200
I know I am preaching to the choir here, so do
not feel obliged to respond to this obvious vent
about what is probably the bleeding obvious to you all...

I read today of yet another recording of the
Goldberg Variations on the mighty Steinway
(Beatrice Rana). I can only suppose that pianists
are either unable to master the harpsichord, or
just stuck in a Gould/Busoni mindset.

Having tried for YEARS to play Bach's music on
the piano, I was never able to do so with
conviction or personal satisfaction. Certain
features seemed so badly composed for the
instrument -- until I discoverd harpsichords 20
or so years ago and all fell in place. (I can
enjoy Glenn Gould's recordings from time to time,
but when I hear him play works that are familiar
to me in harpsichord guise I am unable to recognise them as the same pieces!)

Clearly the "battle" of persuading musicians to
play baroque keyboard music on appropriate
instruments is not won. At first the
"traditionalists" had a point in that the results
were often unmusical, and in many cases they
still are, though the pendulum has swung from
sewing machine to unrhythmical. Today it seems
that one is either a player of a Steinway
/Bösendorfer or an "early keyboardist". Why are
these two so incompatible? Why must a player be
considered committed to one and not the other?
(Aside: in his edition of the 48, e.g. his notes
to the B minor P&F of Book I, Tovey refers
approvingly to the clavichord; was he the first modern pianist to do this?)

How to convince the seemingly invincibly
ignorant, who are often nice people, and who can
play the heck out of Liszt and Brahms, but not
enter into the spirit of Froberger or the
Couperins, and who seemingly imagine that Bach
would have wasted hours of his life composing for
the wretched instruments that they take harpsichords and clavichords to be?

Collectively it seems we are doing something
wrong in not being able to win this "battle".

David