From:
Paul Poletti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:55:17 +0200
Mark Slater wrote:

> > You should see the British game show "Have I Got News for You!" -
> > fantastically funny, and scaaaaaaaathing -woo! Even more amazing
> > considering the nasty British libel laws."
>
> Currently we are being shamelessly and relentlessly bombarded with promos for
> a British import called "The Weakest Link" with the witch of Liverpool, Ann
> Robinson.

Checked it out at the UK Game Show site. Looks positively ghastly.

But they do have a really good page on "Have I got news for you"
(http://www.qwertyuiop.co.uk/gs/atoz/programmes/h/hignfy/index.htm).
Reading the discription alone pretty much points out the Kultur Kleavage
we were talking about, for example, among the list of "funniest episodes":

"Ian Hislop's fated meeting with Paula Yates. Perhaps one of the
funniest episodes ever where they continually bitch about each other.
Ian won the battle (but not before being labelled the "Sperm of the
Devil"). . . "

Somehow I can't imagine that happening on USTV

PP