From:
Nicholas Bunning <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:21:56 -0400
I'm baffled by this.  You must have awful examples harpsichords around you.
Your comments seem backward (or reversed)  The French harpsichord is
generally less interesting as a continuo instrument than others.  It just
that the French happened to have become the all-purpose instrument.  Willard
once liked the typical French harpsichord to an Oldsmobile Station
wagon -can do it all but not really exciting. I disagree with that, but I
know what he was getting at.  I do know that my French double has a utterly
luxurious quality, and is wasted on continuo.  The clarity and singing
quality of the Ruckers is a better suited sound (which is why I'm getting
one as well!)

Or are you talking about a seventeenth century French harpsichord, in which
case I might understand more of what your saying.