From:
David Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:25:08 -0500
You seem to have done everything right.  Are you suffering from low humidity?

Please describe your instrument more.  What kind of jacks does it
have?  Are the offending ones sufficiently loose in their guides?

It is important to remember to disengage the damper completely when looking
for causes of hanging.

It seems to me that the "ridiculous lengthening of the jackpin" you
describe would make the plectrum closer to the string, and thus more likely
to hang.  Hence the suggestion that the jack (if tapered) is too good a
fit, or bent.  Have you tried moving jacks around to see if the adjacent
jack works in the register, and vice-versa?

Are you sure that it is the jack which is not descending, rather than the key?

Forgive me for stating the obvious.

david