From:
Borys Medicky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 1994 23:24:04 -0500
To: [log in to unmask]

I fully agree that harpsichord tuners should persevere in mastering
tuning without the aid of electronic tuners.

Electronic tuners, from my understanding, only have a certain number of
preset temperaments.  The number of temperaments accessible to the
discerning tuner, of course, is far in excess of that.

The harpsichord is one of the few instruments still played for which the
question of tuning can make a major impact on a performance.  Most other
instruments have either prefixed tunings, or tunings which are dictated
by long tradition, so that no one ever thinks of tuning differently.

Let's all enjoy the variety and "spiciness" of the temperaments
available to us, and not restrict ourselves to those few offered by an
electronic aid.  I encourage those who are just getting their feet wet
to get a good book (try Owen Jorgensen's book) and get going.  It only
took me a few weeks to produce acceptable results when I started last
February.  It takes longer, of course, to polish your skills and learn
to appreciate the subtleties of the temperaments you are using, but I
think the careful beginner will be encouraged by how soon usable results
can be had.

Borys Medicky   |   T H I S   S P A C E   F O R   R E N T
[log in to unmask] |              Call:  55-CHEAP

---
 ~ POW 1.1  On Trial ~