From:
David Kelzenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kelzenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:10:12 -0500
Over the last week or so we have had a number of posts which have brought
the tone of disagreement on HPSCHD-L to a new low.  Our policies for
posting to this list specifically contraindicate personal derogatory
remarks and/or flaming.  Yet, some of our correspondents seem unable
(unwilling?) to disagree without including insulting, condescending, or
downright nasty comments in their posts.  It is entirely possible to
disagree without being uncivil.  Disagreement can spark healthy debate and
discussion, but posts which go out of their way to demonstrate the
(alleged) superiority of the writer, or the shortcomings of some other
correspondent, really do little to legitimize the writer's point of view.

I'm putting everyone on notice:  I will be terminating the subscriptions
of anyone who posts insulting, condescending, or otherwise personally
derogatory comments about another subscriber.  This kind of drivel
(untypical of the discourse which has made this list so wonderful over the
years) must stop.

And on another matter: topicality.  We have wandered all over the map
recently, with many posts (and threads) having only a tenuous link to our
topic for discussion, if any at all.  Please, let's tighten this up.  I'm
usually very tolerant of discussion which relates even tangentially to
early keyboard instruments and/or music, but this discussion of language
brevity, for example, simply has no place here.

David C. Kelzenberg
List Owner