From:
Robert Feeser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:47:28 -0400
Well, I don't know that it is impossible. I remember in a psychology course
reading that the sensitivity of the human ear was just short (by design?) of
being able to hear the impact of individual molecules doing their Brownian
motion dance. The point being made was that any additional sensitivity at
the frequencies where we hear best would be counterproductive.

Of course, I can't say whether that was true. But if so, it doesn't stretch
my imagination too much to think that some sound pickups could be a little
more sensitive than our ears.

But when I read the subject message, I took the mention of molecules rubbing
together as just an embellishment of the idea of background noise.

Bob