From:
Hendrik Broekman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2018 12:58:25 -0400
> On Jul 2, 2018, at 1:07 AM, George Candler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Please tell me if there is a special tool or technique to adjust the length
> of each plectra while Ghosting a register.

Trial and error is the only way to achieve this.  I’ve probably ghosted tens of thousands of plectra and, even though it now takes me many fewer cuts to arrive at the correct result, I still find it tedious work, .  Even so, it removes a possibly confounding variable and I find the effort worth it.  The major piece of advice I can give is to arrange your hands so that they are braced against each other (I hold the tool with the thumb, fore- and long fingers, jamming the ring finger and pinkie against the opposing, work-holding hand), thus largely removing the large back and arm muscles from the process.  The other advice is to use a sharp tool – I use as many fresh single-edge razor blades as I need.

As far as I know, the practice of ghosting arose with the half-hitch.  If that seems opaque and non-explanatory, you may thank your lucky stars for living in more cultivated times.  The half-hitch was adopted by many mid-century makers for their pedal-operated harpsichords in order to provide the option of a slightly softer pluck.  In order to achieve this it is critical that, as the register is shifted from off to on, all plectra encounter the strings at the same instant.  It is also preferable, if not entirely critical, that the plectra be homogeneous in length, usually within plus or minus 5-10%.  Way more work, otherwise.  Needless to say, the preferred plectrum material at this time was leather, which could be voiced long.  Challis’ plectra closely approached 1/4”.  That was then.

Quill or plastic don’t play especially nice with half-hitch, but the general setup of an instrument does benefit from ghosting, whatever the plectrum material.  Bill Dowd investigated the setup of antique instruments with genouillieres and he found it clear, to his disappointment, that plectra were not expected to be as long as possible.  Plectrum length, strength and overlap dictate the amount of key stroke necessary to achieve a pluck and must be balanced for optimum effect. Thus, a shallow dip is easier to achieve with a short plectrum, as is a light, crisp touch.  On the other hand, as one might expect, the difficulty of voicing goes up as plectrum length is diminished.  There is a cosmic law of the conservation of misery at work here.

Best,

Hendrik