From:
Don Cameron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 19:32:31 -0800
Robert P. Forbes <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> While we're on the subject (one of my favorites), could people suggest
> their favorite recordings of Handel for the harpsichord?

I like the Scott Ross 2-cd set on Erato - hope it's still in print.  It has
the "8 suites of 1720" (corrections invited if memory has failed me here),
wonderfully performed on a David Ley copy of a 1733 Blanchet.

To digress a bit, can anyone comment on this wonderful instrument?
Erato has several recordings of it, both by Ross and Mayako Sone.  Perhaps
the most flattering recording of it is Ross' Bach recital, with the Italian
Concerto, Chromatic Fantasy & Fugue, French Ouverture, and 4 Duetti - recorded
in a church, with subtle birdsong accompaniment.

Ross recorded Soler, Bach, Handel, and D'Anglebert (and maybe some Scarlatti?)
on this versatile (and arguably generic) instrument.

Dowd has built copies of the 1733 Blanchet (possibly an amalgam of ideas from
the original and the very similar 1730 Blanchet); I know of no major builder
having it in their current repertoire.

Don C.

Don Cameron   | Damnable spell checker!*&^%$#@ ... D'Anglebert is TOO a word!!
Cupertino, CA |   ------  My other car is a harpsichord  --------