From:
Ibo Ortgies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:09:56 +0200
Dear list members,

This subject line here was meant to discuss whether and for whatever
reason certain temperaments might be appropriate for a recording etc.

I'd like to come to the question of the subject - out-of tuneness in recordings.

How much is acceptable in a harpsichord recording?

I have recordings where I think the degree of de-tonation is too high
too my taste.
One recording contains Bach's democratic fantasia and fugue and
especially the top notes send small shock-waves around.
What about 4'-stops, which are of course even more sensitive, especially
when as quite often, voiced on the "sharp" side.

In the recordings I took part, I used to correct even slight differences
as soon as I could detect them - but maybe not every performer is
relaxed about such a procedure in a recording situation.
What is the "policy" of different players, tuners and recording
engineers on this list.

In a concert situation this is different, also because the ears of the
listeners are not as clos as the mics

Kind regards
Ibo Ortgies