From:
Dennis Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 14:26:27 -0600
At  8:27 AM 11/23/94 -0800, Varda Ullman Novick wrote:

>And, what about the "French Overture," which was written in C-Minor,
>but published in B-Minor, and is now performed in both?  Isn't there
>a difference in the 'feel' of those two keys?  (But, if there is a
>different feel to the two keys, and if the story about Bach's allowing
>it to be published in B-Minor is correct, didn't Bach care?)
>
>Varda

      Good question.  In general, when composers change something are we to
conclude that they don't care, or that maybe they changed their minds?   I
am not a Bach scholar, but I know that he republished a number of things in
different keys.  Anyway, B minor and C minor are not profoundly different
colors and their difference is subtle.  There could be a number of possible
explanations here. Both keys express sadness, but b minor usually a little
more melancholy with a touch of hope, while c minor expresses supernatural
longing.  The main difference here of course, is with their dominants.

Dennis Johnson