From:
Judith Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:18:38 -0400
On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Judith Conrad wrote:

> believe Bach actually said such was necessary. Clavichords CAN get a
> fairly wide range of volume, all theway from ppp to mp, but I think quite
> a lot of the range I use on that comes from articulation also.

As I was actually PLAYING clavichord last night, after posting this, I
realised it was an incredibly stupid statement. Of course I use the wide
range of volume, and lots of expressive things one can do on single notes.
I think I had come to the conclusion that that was much truer than I
expected it to be early in my clavichord-playing career. Since then i have
also redone the listing cloth on all my clavichords, to make them more
responsive, and also learned a whole lot about playing expressive
clavichord without making it sound like twanging rubber bands. Do as I do,
not as I say.

judy, aka straw man, who would prefer people listen to her performances
before pronouncing them lackluster and boring