From:
"Owen J. Daly" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 12:28:00 -0800
Couple of unrelated reactions.

First, let me reiterate that I inadvertently launched in my rant a
controversy worthy in its own right of pondering, discussion and ranting
(the one Gordon and Hendrik are exploring right now), but that this was NOT
the point of my original rant. THAT point was that the single WAS a (not
"the") fully appropriate instrument for those toccatas, and that I felt it
was wrong to believe a single wasn't up to the job. Using a single for the
toccatas IS NOT the same thing as playing Frescobaldi on a Taskin or
Steinway. My point would be that it isn't even relevant to the issue Gordon
and Hendrik are discussing now.

Now the unrelated one. Tucked into Gordon's last post is this wonderful image:

<<<Let me try an analogy with building (though I'm out of my element here).
Suppose you came across someone who did not glue up a
>case with clamps.  Instead, he used a procedure which required a great deal
>of extra work and didn't get the parts *quite* lined up right (although
>close enough that the resulting instrument worked).  (You've undoubtedly
>seen better examples of the kind of thing I've described so far.)  Here's
>the kicker: he knows about clamps!  Yet he insists on using the difficult
>procedure, taking great pride in his virtuosity with it, and thinks that it
>shows what a great woodworker he is.
>
>Gordon>>

My God, Gordon, do you have ANY IDEA of how often one has encountered just
the very kind of builder you describe here? There are fewer of them about
now than in the '70s, but ... Well, you don't want to start another ranting
thread by the builders do you???