From:
"D. Kelzenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 1994 14:19:14 -0600
Yes, but (correct me if I'm wrong...;-) weren't these works *written* for
Landowska?  I seem to recall some of these composers actually working with
her, to best understand and utilize the resources of her instrument.  (As
Persechetti did with Elaine Comparone.) If this is the case, a stronger
argument certainly exists for using this type of instrument.  That said, I
must admit that I do not object to hearing these works done (more
successfully, in some ways) on historically-styled instruments.  But isn't
your argument (DS) rather like that of the revivalists themselves? ie, if
the baroque composers had known about pedals, etc, they'd have used
them...?

Dave Kelzenberg