From:
Geronimo Fais <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2018 14:20:55 +0200
My humble opinion (and sorry for the bad English) : any "crusade" approach is not productive and no more tolerable today. We will obtain anything by telling what people should or shouldn't do, and most important it would TEACH anything to anyone. Everyone makes his own choices based on his education, his knowledge of historical context, his attention toward musicological research, his musical experiences in general, the aesthetic that he developed in time, and his legitimate tastes: if someone sits at the piano and plays Bach (or any other composer) with modern fingerings without any regard to embellishments, with complete unawareness of historical context and treatises, he is just doing the best that he can, with the education and competence that he has, and avoiding him to play on the piano is just a destructive approach. What is needed instead, is a positive approach mainly toward new generations, encouraging the study of treatises and developing an interest in musicology in general.
The choice of the "right" instrument is important but alone is not enough! it comes spontaneously after a certain degree of awareness. The proof is that sitting at a harpsichord doesn't make you necessarily an accomplished musician. We can hear bad renditions of Bach, and a great number of them are on the harpsichord.
I could even prefer a bad pianist to a bad AND arrogant harpsichordist.

Have a good day,
Geronimo