From:
Doug Brooke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 00:00:00 GMT
Today was a splendid day for making and fitting boudins - sausages - and I took all my lessons from Ruckers:  if one has the courage to drill the guide holes one has to drill their process is very quick and accurate.

I made the boudins (two) using a mylar film template and trimmed them to fit the case then moticed them into the liners.

I laid the soundboard on top of the loose fitted boudin and drilled a hole at both ends through the board into the boudin to locate the two parts relative to one another.

I took both parts out and laid the boudin on top of the upturned board, fixed in its right  position with pins into the holes I drilled before.  I then drilled some more holes through the board marking the leading edge of the boudin.  Small ones mind, with a 0.75mm drill bit.

I turned the board right way up and lined up the boudin with the holes through the board but offset 5mm or so and using the boudin as a ruler scribed the line that will mark the hitchpins for the 4'.

We have an aversion in our time for making these telltale builders marks on our instruments - at least the ones I come across.  But I found it such a logical and simple way to make things line up that felt so right and fluid: like all good technique feels.  I might even draw attention to the marks - ruckers filled their holes with sawdust, I might use ebony pegs, maybe.

Doug.