From:
Bradley P Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 1994 15:50:22 -0500
On Fri, 18 Nov 1994, Joseph Spencer wrote:

> The other is more recent, from the recordings of the Six Partitas with
> Ed Parmentier, who often writes words or scenarios on the margins of his
> music, to subliminally guide the interpretation.  Wanting a slow,
> dolorous tempo for the fugue in the opening toccata of the  E minor
> Partita, no. 6, I composed the following "lyrics":
>
>         It hurts me
>         It hurts me
>         It hurts me so bad
>         I cannot see,
>         I think I want to die.
>
> Try it.  And listen to Ed's recording- see if we made it.

Well, gee.  When I studied the piece with him in lessons and studio
classes and such, he was using the words "mein Heiland" usw, pretending
the fugue subject was cantata-ish.  He didn't mention your words.  And he
encouraged me to always make up words in the language of the music's
composer, or play the actual words if the piece is a transcription from
something already texted (this is tremendously helpful in parsing the
music's grammar and articulation).  I remember once for a Byrd galliard I
made up an entire Dowlandish poem that could be sung to the piece....it's
in my notes somewhere.

That partita movement *is* very effective on your recording, btw.  Great
affect and clarity.

 |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)          Bradley Lehman, [log in to unmask]
 /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'       personal nutrition tip #107:
|,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\       I have better things to do than count out the exact
'---''(_/--' (_/-'   recommended serving size of Cheez-Its or Tootsie Rolls.