From:
Philip Tyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 08:54:20 EST
In a message dated 98-11-06 03:48:50 EST, Broekman wrote:

<< On the other hand, I espouse a
 somewhat more relativist position that insists on a good performance first,
 all other things second. >>

This is profoundly persuasive. The type of instrument, the type of ambience,
the size of audience, the interpretive decisions all contribute in inchoate
ways to the primary consideration, the "good performance" that has you humming
under your breath as you are leaving, and for days later.

If we are in a position to argue over which type of harpsichord to use for a
particular piece, then we should also be open to possibilities of good
performance on non-harpsichords.

For amazingly persuasive piano renditions of Bach's English Suites and some of
his concerti, check out Andras Schiff (sp?).

Tyre,
Dunedin