Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 23:56:00 +0200
On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 10:00:27PM +0100, Peter Bavington wrote:
> An aspiring player actually needs a good harpsichord even more than an
> established one. It is obviously hard for such a player of limited means to
> get his hands on one.

May I, as an amateur owner, and not even a beginner player, humbly ask the
learned builders and teachers on this list to speculate what corners could
be cut to arrive at a low-cost instrument suitable for beginners.

I would expect a single-manual 1x8', with a quiet sound (so as not to
disturb neighbours), Quite possibly a limited range, just enough for a
beginners needs. No extra decorations, simple paint job or unpainted, which
ever is easier to make. As simple a stand as can be made.

What should be good in it: The action should be pretty good, and the sound
(especially as heard by the player himself) should be at least tolerable.
There should not be too many maintenance nightmares.

I would imagine an instrument used mostly for practicing alone, and
occasionally accompanying one or two other instruments (probably recorders).
This thing should never need to defend its place on a stage or with a larger
ensemble. It would be assumed that a beginner would grow out of this thing
in some years, and would switch to a better instrument, by which time this
thing would move on to the next beginner...

I know some of you will be suggesting a clavichord for the quiet voice, but
consider how hard it is to find teachers... Still, it might be a
possibility, especially if one could be produced at a lower cost.

What do you all say, would it make any sense to produce such a thing? I know
most of you want to build the finest and bestest instruments, for concerts
and recordings and other fine uses.

- Heikki
  hoping to be a beginner, some day

--
Heikki Levanto  LSD - Levanto Software Development   <[log in to unmask]>