From:
Stuart Frankel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 20:22:23 -0400
"PAUL G. MASSER" wrote:

> >From my recollection of Kerala Snyder, she concluded it was probable that Buxtehude had the Marienkirche organs retuned in some form of Werkmeister circulating temperment round about the late 1690s.  Wouldn't that undercut the argument?

That was pure speculation on Snyder's part (and she was
careful to label it as such). The two points of evidence
were (1) the organ was out of service for an extensive
repair job which might have included retuning; and (2) what
are believed to be Bux's later organ pieces are more
chromatically adventurous than what are believed to be his
earlier pieces. Of course, this second piece of evidence is,
appropriately, borderline circular.

Actually, we don't know who wrote down the Bux free organ
works, or why, or in what key they originally were - most of
them survive from central german sources a generation or
more after their composition. We also don't know how these
later copyists may have altered them for their own purpose;
they were producing copies of music for their own use, not
making mere archival records.

Everything in the above paragraph applies to Bach's
toccatas.

best,
 stuart