From:
Roger Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:06:02 +0000
Yes. Boyer (A History of Mathematics - Wiley) quotes 'the earliest undoubted
occurrence of a zero in India is in an inscription of 876', and then says that
it possibly originated in the Greek world, and with the idea of a
'placeholder', if not a fully fledged zero, being used in Mesopotamia ca. 300
B.C.

RJC,

Edinburgh.

--