From:
John Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:30:00 -0500
>> Even if we already bought a copy of the music?

Stephen Birkett answered:
>Oenership isn't the issue. As with all protected music you are expected
>to pay a fee every time it is performed. This, technically, includes
>modern editions of classical and baroque works. Of course, it would be
>very difficult to prove that you were using the particular edition in
>question, in exclusion of all others. So, in practical terms, the law is
>uselee. On the other hand, there are a number of holier-than-thou people
>on this list (from past discussions) - I wonder if they are squeaky clean
>on this issue??

I doubt that anyone living is completely free from the temptation to skirt
the letter of the law.  I know that in my postings on the subject I only
try to disabuse people of blatently incorrect beliefs about copyright.
They will have to make their own decisions, but it should at least be based
on correct information.

>These payments are real - there is the Harry Fox Agency to whom they are
>supposed to be made.

Information like this.  Harry Fox Agency only handles mechanical rights
licenses--royalties for recordings.  Performance royalties are handled
by--whom else?--the performing rights organizations, ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC.

John

John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music
Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240