From:
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:47:42 -0500
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 05:18:44 -0400, Paul Poletti wrote:

[snip]

>So, if we can leave the "Once upon time" type of temperament discussions
>behind, here's a revelatory passage from Marais' 1689 supplement to his 1686
>collection of suites, which provided figured bass accompaniments to the
>first edition, plus some new pieces, as quoted by Lindley:

>"I have figured all the pieces for playing on the harpsichord or on the
>theorbo, which goes very well with the viol, which plays the tune. There
>will be found, following the thorough-basses, a supplement of several
>special pieces expressly for those who have a great familiarity with the

etc.

Marais' relaxed atitude toward transposition for continuo is an
intersting contrast to his detailed fingering instructions for the solo
viol in those very pieces.

Rodney Myrvaagnes                                                           J36 Gjo/a

For your upscale SUV: Dingle-balls hand knit of natural Icelandic yarn