From:
Stephen Birkett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 23:17:52 EDT
Ken wrote:
>But in some of the harpsichord music I listen to
> (Bach and Scarlatti), the player is changing registration and bouncing around
> between keyboards quite often so a registration like 4+16 would only last for
> a short musical line and then it would be on to another sound.  I would think
> an instrument with the addition of 16' would be considered more comprehensive
> and capable of covering all the literature.  I even ran across one
> harpsichord that had a 2' stop.  Oh no, I hope that doesn't open another can
> of worms.

The juxtaposition of Scarlatti with 2' stop is not without historical precedent. at least one
Italian harpsichord with 8', 4', 2' registration existed - Cristofori 1726 - contemporary
with Scarlatti. No big deal.

Now for a real can of worms there is that convincing evidence of Scarlatti's championing the
Cristofori pianos....

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228