Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 07:31:00 -0700
At 05:51 AM 9/1/00 -0400, David wrote:

 There are several stops with which to vary the
>tone, controlling the sideways movement of the keyboard ("una corda"), the
>lifting of the dampers ("forte"), and the vibration of the strings
>("cembalo"). Restelli uses Silbermann's materials and structural techniques
>down to the last detail; reconstructing the action proved particularly
>complicated, making it one of the few perfectly functioning examples
>anywhere in the world of a "Cristofori-Silbermann" fortepiano-action.

I was just thinking the other day how nice it was that as the piano
developed, most of the "special effects" gimmicks got dropped, even by 1800
or so, and what was left were the effects available just through the
technique of the player. But now I wonder if that thinking is entirely valid
- effects equivalent to una corda for example not being available via
technique on modern pianos.  So what are people's opinions regarding when
was the apex of piano development, repertoire aside?

jbunch