From:
Frank House <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 06:48:25 +0100
Among dedicated woodworkers cryogenically treated plane blades are popular,
and are said to have superior properties to conventionally hardened and
tempered ones.  This is a post-tempering treatment.

A couple of URLs:
http://www.holtey.co.uk/blades.htm

http://www.hocktools.com/productsA2.htm

Archive searches of rec.woodworking and
http://www.wwforum.com/cgi-bin/forum_main/handtool.cgi will yield many
references, a web search on 'cryogenic treatment' will yield dozens of sites
ready to (anti-)cook (?) just about anything, I have not yet seen
harpsihords mentioned, but give it time :-).

Would cryo-treatment of a S*bath*l improve it?  Say parking it on Pluto for
a century or two?

Frank House.