Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:42:50 EDT
The WF Bach F Maj. Concerto (my score calles it a 'duetto) is a fascinating
piece. I played it for the first time last fall. The parts are so
interlocking that they only make sense when played together. Practicing each
part separately is musically unsettling - you just know something is missing,
but until you've played it in ensemble several times, it's very difficult to
mentally supply the missing pieces. It's a great work and should be performed
more often.

Other suggestions:

CPE Bach: four duetti (sorry - no H. or W. #)
J.C. Bach:  sonatas for four hands (there are at least four)
Soler: Sonatas for two organs (no separate pedal, they work beautifully on
hpsd)
Handel: Suite for two hpsds (Oxford, reconstructed by T. Dart if I remember
correctly.)
Matheson: a sonata and a suite (Hinrichsen) The 1mt sonata is a hoot!

20th c:

William Albright: Three New Chestnuts (Peters) challenging, very dissonant

Edwin McLean: Sonata for two hpsds. I have to confess a bias - I commissioned
this one in 1992 and I like it very much. The 1st mt - Passacaglia alla Tango
- is terrific! John Paul and Shawn Leopard recently recorded it. Mclean also
has a sonata for three harpsichords which works wonderfully well.

Bob Heath