From:
William Jurgenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:14:27 +0000
dc:
>Dowd somehow _did_ manage to make the key tails so regular and the
>cloth on the ends so tight-fitted that he got away with effortless
>transposing. Why is none of the rest of us so successful - or
>so meticulous?
-Speak for yourself!
The discussion here and in other postings about the varying heights, etc.
is not about transposers as such, it is about miserable quality.
>...<
>One other transposing thing - that instrument had keys which were
>balanced _very_ close to neutral, with thinning both fore and aft.
>I've always adhered to the Way maxim that one couldn't depend on
>jack weight to return a key, and expected the action to be sluggish
>with its light wood jacks. In fact, it seemed quick enough for
>my clumsy playing, and the tactile quality was particularly nice.
>But of course that adds to the dangers in a sliding keyboard,
>with random keys likely to pop up at an awkward moment.

Since original late French lower manuals, and some Germans too, routinely
fall forward or are indifferent without the jacks, it would seem obvious
that some manipulation has been done on the "copies" that don't.  What for?

regards, Bill

William Jurgenson
Keyboard Instrument Maker