From:
David Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:00:36 -0400
David Calhoun wrote:

> It _is_ fresh in everybody's mind, nicht wahr, that Hubbard (or I
> suppose Ross in Hubbard's shop) made the original Burton drawings?

I'll quote Hendrik Broekman in an off list email (hope you don't mind,
Hendrik!):

"The irony here is that original Burton design was drawn by Frank
Hubbard
just after the time he had a 1644 AR in his shop.  The design owed a
great
deal to that experience.  What I have never been able to determine
(aside
from what arrangement or understanding served as the basis for this
seemingly strange association) was what Burton may have subsequently
done to the design while developing it for production.  I certainly
remember
having seen a Burton publicity photo in which the featured harpsichord
had a bentside whose greatest curve seemed to be closer to the tail than
the cheek.  Certainly not from Frank's drawing for Burton, the original
of
which we have at the shop.  I would have expected an instrument made by
Frank from his own drawing to be at the highest level.  On the other
hand,
made slavishly from Burton's drawing and instructions and with the
supplied materials, you're correct, it could only have been just about
the best
Burton ever made."

DPJ