From:
Matt Sharp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:36:48 -0400
I've been listening to Trevor Pinnock's 3-CD Bach set: 6 partitas, French
Overture, Goldberg Variations, and Italian Concerto.  For the most part his
playing is spirited and enjoyable (articulation and ornamentation
especially), though sometimes it feels a little stilted and occasionally he
takes a movement too fast for my taste.

The real treat, to me, is the rich, silken sound of the instruments he
plays--two David J. Way after Hemsch, a Clayson & Garrett after Dulcken,
and, on the Goldberg Vars., an Andreas Ruckers from the Musee Instrumental
in Paris.  Perhaps not all historically perfect for the repertoire, but to
me it's ear candy.

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on his use of the stops, if
others have heard the recording--he changes fairly often on repeats etc.,
which makes for a lot of variation.

MTS