From:
SCN User <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 10:46:25 -0800
Hi - Domenico asks about the Hubbard muselaar kit.

I see one with some regularity in Vancouver, in which there is a
problem with the jack guide and some soundboard motion of the left
bridge. I think this came from a little geometric error on the part
of the builder, perhaps compounded because the guide construction
does not appear to be quite the way the Ruckers folk woulda done
it. Great care is required in getting the geometry right, because
the spacing of things does not leave much room for fudging.

My only real quarrel with the kit is that Hubbard has modernized the
keyboard layout, making the bass chromatic and changing the spacing
of the accidentals. I love the original Flemish key spacings for the
appropriate music, and regret the loss. But the change does increase
the versatility of the instrument, and one can always tune a short
octave anyhow. In fact, on the Vancouver example, the short octave
strings so tuned sound better than the chromatic strings on the same
notes!

The muselaar sound is a lovely and special thing, and much to be
enjoyed. It should make a great contrast to your spinet!

                                                        calhoun