Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:40:55 -0600
I'm on a tear today.

I just ran across this on the Wildboar webpage.  I had never heard this
story.  Have any of the rest of you all?

"The first of a long series of Wildboar recordings at The Shrine to Music
Museum, this features one of the latest extant French
baroque harpsichords. This instrument was dismantled in the 1950s by John
Challis, most of its internal components
(soundboard, wrestplank, action) removed and replaced with aluminum,
titanium and fiberglass parts of his design. Miraculously,
he saved all the original parts, which forty years later Hugh Gough was
able to reassemble into one of the most sonorous and
compelling instruments left to us. Arthur Haas' performance won glowing
critical praise."

JB