From:
Ibo Ortgies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:37:30 +0200
dave-jane johnson wrote on the hpschd-list
> Subject: Italian harpsichord

> ... The C/E to c3 keyboard has its limitations
> but if one wants to play the gamut of available music several varied
> instruments are required whether harpsichord, clavichord, or piano.

and organ...

Wich tells a lot about the relative importance of limitations.
Another good reason to go to the website
http://Frauenkirche-Silbermann.de/index.htm
On the recently dumped reconstruction of the Silbermann-organ of the
Frauenkirche, Dresden.

There the assumed "limitations", like pitch, keyboard compass, etc. lead
now to the decision of the "Orgelkommission" NOT to recommend a
thorough, scientifically based process-reconstruction of the organ,
which would on the contrary be possible as the Silbermann-experts say.
Now only the organ case should be reconstructed - only the "optic"
counts and Silbermann's work otherwise seems not interesting enough...
Obviously the organ commission doesn't regard it as necessary to learn
from a thorough reconstruction for the benefit of still existing Silbermanns.

The building of the Frauenkirche itself however IS under reconstruction
now after it's complete destruction in the second-world war.

Please send your OPEN PROTEST against the messing-up of the original
Silbermann-concept to the website - it is still a small chance to stop
the wrong development in Dresden, before it is too late.

Kind regards
Ibo Ortgies

SAFETY NOTE
- PLEASE, send mails in plain, unformatted ASCII-text.
  I will not open un-announced attachments or such of
  unknown origin. I don't spread "virus warnings", chain
  letters etc.