From:
Jack Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2006 10:59:42 -0700
     Bill, Only has one occasion where the Vogel jacks saved the day and
it was in believe it or not a Zuckermann kit, The Ed Kottick octave
virginal which is based on that french monstrosity in the Berlin
collection. The bass octave and tenor octave jacks travel between the
strings and the soundboard. As the strings run transversely accross the
vertical sound boards front and back all the jacks running in tenor and
bass octaves must be mitered to place the tongue from bottom to top of
jack. The vogels are parallel and miter very nicely except for an
ocassional long wire spring. I used the standard I beam jack in the
upper soundboard where tapered jacks seemed in order. Ed told me only
six of these beasts were ever made after his prototypes. I had a lot of
other rescue work that was needed for the thing to work. It has 4 jack
rails. I have to admit that when folks pin the strings too close to the
jacks, you can still get them to repeat.  JP