From:
"D. Kelzenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 1994 14:00:45 -0600
On Sun, 6 Nov 1994, Kent Crispin wrote:

> On a related note -- the only recording I have of Landowska is an old LP of
the
> Goldberg Variations, and unfortunately the recording quality is such that it
is
> difficult for me to determine either tonal quality or virtuosity.  Are there
> any really clean CD reissues of Landowska available at all? She was very
> respected in her time...

Most of the RCA Victor Landowska recordings have come out on CD.  These
include the complete WTC (also licensed to MHS) on 5 CDs, and her second
Goldbergs (1945), which is part of a 2-CD Bach set also including the 2nd
Partita, s. 906 c-minor fantasia, and inventions (1959, and among her last
recordings).  All of these are decent mono sound.  Her earlier European
recordings from the 1930s for EMI feature more primitive, although quite
listenable sound.  Much of this material is as yet unavailable on CD;
what I have seen is one Bach CD (the first "Goldbergs" and terrific
performances of the Italian Concerto and Chromatic Fantasie/Fugue) and a
1-CD collection of Scarlatti sonatas (containing about 2/3 of those she
recorded).  Lots remains: Handel, Couperin, Rameau, and more Bach.

There is a new and fascinating CD (sorry, don't have it here at work and
can't remember the label) which includes the earliest recordings WL made
in the 20s.  Sound varies from OK to prehistoric.  But, it's fascinating
stuff.  There are also several compilations of "unauthorized" concert
recordings, etc, mostly from the '50s, available on Pearl and several
Italian labels.  Details happily shared with anyone else who is interested.

Dave Kelzenberg