From:
Matthew Daillie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2018 10:29:01 +0200
I think that one particular issue is being resolved. Here in France the technique of a younger generation of early keyboard players has really caught up with that of their pianist counterparts. They started directly on the harpsichord at a tender age and benefited from the informed teaching and experience of players who were themselves taught by Leonhardt et al. Not only have they developed supreme technique and understanding of the musical texts for the solo repertoire but are also extremely competent in the realm of basso continuo.
Jean Rondeau is getting all the attention but there are a lot of other young harpsichord players who deserve at least as much publicity. The AllofBach project has notably featured recordings by Benjamin Alard and Bertrand Cuiller to name but a couple.
Best,
Matthew