From:
d a pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 19:02:17 -0500
Jim scripsit:

> What I would like to know from you teachers out there, is how you
> figure out which kids have a deep-seated interest in music that may
> be obscured by some temporary difficulty that could be sorted out
> with appropriate pedagogy?  How do you keep yourself from being
> dazzled by the kid with technical pizzaz but an interest in music
> that is not very deep?  I must have been sized up at the time as a
> "difficult" or "unpromising" pupil not worth much effort.

I am no a music teacher in the sense referred to, in that I do not
teach instrumental or vocal performance (nor would I wish to!); but I
am a conductor and, as such, have done my share of judging "Young
Artist Competitions".  I have to say that colleagues in such judging
panels are often NOT able to keep themselves from being dazzled, since
they are looking principally for technical prowess.  I myself find no
difficulty in distinguishing the musical lemons from the real thing,
since I find them totally boring.  The only problem is how to persuade
the rest of the panel not to make fools of themselves!  In several
cases I have made myself very unpopular.

I also judge for NSAL and am told that my comments are much more
helpful than those of the teachers who also judge.  Maybe that's
because the teachers only comment on those things which the candidate
is also told by his/her teacher, whereas I am listening for other
things.

I hate sitting on these panels anyway, and only take part when I cant
avoid it!

Dont get me wrong, I am not against technical facility when it is put
at the service of the music, but there is for me no such thing as
"musical technique" in and of itself.

david