From:
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 09:11:12 +0400
Hardly new for NY. I am reminded of a New Yorker cartoon at least ten years ago. A patient in an operating-room bed looking up at the masked surgical team. The surgeon says "We'd like you to know that we'll be performing this operation with original instruments."

')

> My ears  became more attentive when the people started talking about
> the challenges of 'authenticity'.  bla bla bla....  and how one of the
> "special" things about these new "performances" were the "period
> costumes", and just how every detail was "true to the period"   No they
> weren't gabbling on about a new Rameau Opera, but I  was amazed to
> learn that they were discussing new productions of Mary Poppins and
> Saturday Night Fever.....
>
> No kidding

Rodney Myrvaagnes

Please send emails to
rodneym (AT) alumni (DOT) tufts (DOT) edu
with obvious corrections.