From:
"d. collins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:46:17 +0200
Kirk McElhearn wrote:

>I just received the box set of Verlet's recordings of Louis Couperin. As
>for the Bach Chromatic Fantasy that I queried recently, this recording is
>also played on an "out of tune" harpsichord. I put the quotes because I
>certainly understand the desire for not using ET, and use "out of tune" a
>bit sarcastically.
>
>But, once again, the instrument is prepared and tuned by the infamous
>Christopher Clarke, and no notes are included discussing the tuning.
>
>As much as I can accept going against the grain and using an older
>temperament, I really feel it is irresponsable to not at least mention
>this for listeners who may be shocked by it.

While a variety of meantone isn't really the best thing for Bach, for Louis
Couperin it would on the contrary wrong *not* to use such a tuning. It
would be much more "irresponsible" to use ET and not to mention it than to
use an historic temperament suited to the music. Of course, if she plays
the Pavane, it might be a bit harsh...

Dennis