Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:18:18 -0500
I never, ever thought I'd have anything to say on this thread, but in
the spring 2001 issue of Invention & Technology magazine, there's an
article on p. 56 about the development of the tungsten filament in light
bulbs.

The heart of the process, inspired by William Coolidge's visit to his
dentist and getting a filling of dental amalgam, is described thusly:
"...Coolidge perfected a process in which tungsten powder was dissolved
in cadmium amalgam and the resulting mass was forced through a small
hole to form a wire.  When the wire was heated in a vacuum, first the
cadmium and then the mercury evaporated, and the remaining particles
sintered together as pure tungsten. This could be rolled and pressed
mechanically and then drawn into strong, ultrathin wire."

That last part about the "strong, ultrathin wire" made me wonder if a
similar process might be applied to, say, steel or iron wire...with what
result in a harpsichord?

Frankly, Scarlet, I'm happy with the wire that's in my harpsichord right
now.