From:
James Bunch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:58:49 -0700
At 09:53 AM 11/23/98 -0500, Judith wrote:

snip

>Nothing in the classical world gets rehearsed to
>the point where anybody's making a deep statement about the shape of the
>world or the meaning of life. Everything is done using rote skills and
>reactions learned in conservatory.

That leads to another tie to the amateur world, which I was just talking
about in connection with playing in tune.  I find that the performances by
the local community orchestras can be more emotionally satisfying sometimes
than professional ones.  For one thing, they rehearse a lot, and for
another, as the word "amateur" implies, they are playing for love of the
music.  Ours played Beethoven 1st Sunday to a packed house, got tremendous
applause.  The players were in orbit afterward.

One of the most UNsatisfying performances I have heard lately, by the way,
was by the Guarneri qt who played here back in May.  My impression was that
they approached the gig like a group of sheetrockers would approach a job -
they were payed to play a job, they came, they played well technically, they
left.