From:
William Jurgenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Jurgenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:29:22 +0200
>David Cates has an interesting Italian (Venetian?) by Curtis Berak, who
>ALWAYS builds interesting instruments, that has an arpichordum!  I've never
>seen such a thing on a wing-shaped harpsichord before,

The small Italian (Venetian, ca. 1600) here in the museum which I restored
about 15 years ago, has traces on the WP for the lowest octave which can
only have been an Arpichordum; how little snese this may have, nothing else
makes any sense at all. It was a sliding something hled in place by two
wire pins or staples and had an excentric stop screwed(!, tread for hand
filed screw) to WP to its left. Given the diffculty of regulating these
things, that seems to make some sense. Anyway, I "reconstructed it using
only the traces and available holes and very soft iron wire for the hooks
and it works reasonably well most of the time without constant adjustment.

William Jurgenson
Keyboard Instrument Maker