From:
Hal L Haney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 21:22:19 -0600
        The question from Timothy S. Hall about Burton's jacks jogged my memory
to the very early days of Herb Burton.  While I probably knew the man
better than his harpsichord, I feel quite certain his jacks, tongues, and
plectra were all made of black Delrin.  Since he did not play,  Herb
asked me to demonstrate one of his newly constructed instruments at a
national seminar.  I had no practice time and sat down in front of a
medium-sized audience and gave a short recital.  When I arose to take my
bow I noticed that my finger tips and the inside of my thumbs were jet
black.  Later when I asked him about this he replied that he had just
finished the instrument and he had blackened the natural keys with shoe
polish.  Even though Herb was one of the most insecure and complex men I
had ever met, one couldn't help but like  him for tackling a subject for
which he had very little training.
        And no, Delrin is not always black. The Delrin in all  my instruments is
cream colored.

        Cordially,  Hal Haney, Denver, Colorado U.S.A.