From:
"D. Kelzenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 1994 20:22:50 -0600
> >Many years ago Josef Gatt (sp?) made some creatively miked, delicious-
> >sounding recordings on the clavichord.  Have any of them been
> >remastered and released on on CD?
> >
> >Varda Ullman Novick

Jozsef Gat (there are diacriticals over the "o" and "a" which I cannot
reproduce here) (1913-1969) was a Professor at the Budapest Hochschule
after 1949.  He studied piano with Bartok and composition with Kodaly.
His book (in English "Technique of Piano Playing") has been published in
several languages.  He began giving performances on harpsichord and
clavichord as early as 1952(!) in his native country.

I have an old Hungaroton LP upon which Gat performs the "Goldberg"
variations on harpsichord and a C.P.E Bach Sonata on clavichord.  Alas,
the instruments are unidentified, but the harpsichord sounds "revival."
The playing is spirited and musical; the style dated.

Dave Kelzenberg