Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:07:09 -0700
At 12:00 AM 4/21/01 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
>Caleb Warner was a person, also. He designed the thing with
>the inside-out channel carcass, waterfall keyboard, and
>clear plastic lid. Before that he made a bentside spinet
>out of (I think) fiberglass.....
>It worked, so Warner must have been some sort of craftsman. He
>was eccentric enough to own a trimaran in the 1960s. I
>never met him.

I would think that Caleb Warner and John Challis are quite comparable.
Particularly if you look beyond Warner's kit that became the Baldwin
Electric to the various Cannon Guild models he designed and offered. (I saw
the catalog, I only ever saw one actual example.)

>I thought that the bent aluminum-channel rim was visually
>more honest than Challis' fake joinery.

Actually if you look at Challis' light-alloy frames, his titanium bridges
and alloy-fibreglass sandwich soundboards, there's considerable
craftsmanship in evidence. And how is his joinery any more fake than Caleb
Warner's. I don't understand.

Joseph

The Musical Offering
Berkeley, California