Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:16:17 -0400
On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 08:28:19PM -0400, David Jensen spake thusly:
> Owen Daly wrote:
>
> >  I and other builders who really love Italian harpsichords have all reached
> > the
> > point where we *expect* a "full sound" and bridle when anyone finds this
> > "surprising." Right David, Bill ...?
>
> Right you are, Owen.. I think Italian harpsichords are in many senses the
> epitome of harpsichord design. I also think that it has taken some time for
> folks schooled in the lush and often mushy late French sound to become
> reeducated to appreciate the Italian sound. And as we all know, there are still
> many who haven't figured it out yet.

I think it's safe to say that most haven't around here... I
personally have come to LOVE the italian sound, especially early
ones. Though I only base that on recordings... I've never actually
had a chance to try an early italian instrument - really the only
non-late-french instruments I've tried have been my own
monstrosity-of-a-flemish-single, a bentside spinet that sounds
wonderful, but is just a little odd... and a very nice small flemish
single that sounds and feels incredible.

Most of the students rarely use it though - the range is too small
for a lot of music, and it requires a very different technique from
the later ones. I've actually found it much easier to play though,
now that I've gotten used to it. And the old fingerins
(23232322323232) work a lot better on it...

In any case, I'm on the lookout for an early Italian now, having
grown rather sick of the big boomy beasts that these french doubles
are.

--
Jon-o Addleman