Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:06:37 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bradley Lehman" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 3:34 PM
Subject: 2-harpsichord music
>  >
>  >There are good 2 piano versions of the Bach Trio Sonatas (for organ
>  >usually) by Victor Babin. I'm afraid I don't know if they are still in
>  >print, but while one has to do a certain amount of leaving out of
octaves
>  >etc which are pianistic, they do sound extraordinarily effective on
>  >two harpsichords. And the music is wonderful.
>
> I've been wondering for years if anybody's done one like that, and I've
> been threatening to do it myself someday.  How much does Babin break up
the
> existing lines and add new material?

It's some years since I had two pianos so all my 2-piano music is residing
with a friend who does! As far as I remember the Babin arrangements were
published by Boosey and Hawkes, and did not - again as far as memory
serves - contain much additional material. I just checked for instance the
organ score of the Largo from the 5th sonata, which is a great favourite of
mine, and I think it was basically a division of the two hands between the
two keyboards with some extra harmony and octaves etc. But certainly nothing
excessive. I also loved the 1st sonata, of which Tovey described the first
movement as sounding like "a fairground in heaven".

Would be interested to know whether the arrangements are still in print.

Chris Cartwright